|TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT 735-PS
Source:Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression. Volume III. USGPO, Washington, 1946/pp.533-535
Minutes of Meeting Concerning
Access only through officer
Deputy Chief of the Armed Forces Ops Staff
Subject: Treatment of enemy terror aviators
Minutes of a meeting
1. Obergruppenfuehrer Kaltenbrunner informed the deputy Chief of WFSt in Klessheim on the afternoon of 6.6, that a conference on this question had been held shortly before between the Reich Marshall, the Reich Foreign Minister and the Reichsfuehrer SS. Contrary to the original suggestion made by the Reich Foreign Minister who wished to include every type of terror attack on the German civilian population, that is, also bombing attacks on cities, it was agreed in the above conference that merely those attacks carried out with A/ C armament, aimed directly at the civilian population and their property, should be taken as the standard for the evidence of a criminal action in this sense. Lynch law would have to be the rule. On the contrary, there has been no question of court martial sentence or handing over to the police.
2. Deputy Chief of WFSt stated the following:
3. At a conference with Colonel von Brauchitsch (C-in-C Air Force) on 6.6, it was settled that the following actions were to be regarded as terror-action, justifying Lynch law.
The head of the Reception camp for aviators at Oberursel will be informed of these facts given in Section 3 above. If the facts of any case of this kind are established on examination, the prisoners are to be handed over to the SD. Colonel von Brauchitsch declared, at the end, that another report to the Reich Marshall on this subject would be superfluous.
Distribution: Chief OKW via Chief WFSt-1st copy
Remarks by the Chief of OKW on the agenda dated 6.6.44 No. 771793/ 44
Top Secret S. 0. only.
"If one allows the people to carry out Lynch law, it is difficult to enforce rules ! -K
Min. Dir. Berndt got out and then shot the enemy aviators on the road.
I am against legal procedure! It doesn't work out !
[sgd.] K. [Keitel]
Remarks by Chief of WFSt:
"T'o 3. This conference is insufficient. The following points must be decided quite definitely in conjunction with the Foreign Office:
3. How can we guarantee that the procedure be not also carried out against other enemy aviators?
4. Should some legal procedure be arranged or not?
[ sgd.] J. [Jodl]
Faculty of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences